Btrieve 12 - Frequently Asked Questions
What is Btrieve 12?
Btrieve 12 is the replacement database for Btrieve 6.15. It is API and file format compatible with Btrieve 6.15 and is supported on Windows OS platforms from Vista to Windows 10.
How is Btrieve 12 different from Btrieve 6.15?
Here are some of the key Btrieve 12 features that differentiate it from Btrieve 6.15:
- Available now as a supported Actian product
- Runs and is supported on current Windows OS platforms, including Windows 10
- Lets existing Btrieve 6.15 applications (when moved onto Btrieve 12) take advantage of 20 years of hardware and OS platform improvements like increased memory, multi-core processors, IPv4 and IPv6, online Eclipse-based help and documentation and a modern MSI installer
- Improved security with wire encryption
- Updated licensing model - from Unlimited Distribution License (6.15) to Limited Distribution License (12). The Limited Distribution License allows the holder to distribute copies of Btrieve 12 supporting up to a total of 1000 users. The new licensing model uses unique keys to authorize each copy of Btrieve 12.
- Updated developer tools. From the GUI-driven Btrieve Control Center to an updated set of utilities, the Btrieve 12 developer tools are a big improvement over Btrieve 6.15.
- Click here to see a comparison of Btrieve 6.15, Btrieve 12 and PSQL v12.
Will Btrieve 6.15 applications run on Btrieve 12?
Yes, if the application uses the standard Btrieve API and file format 6.x.
How do I test my application with Btrieve 12?
Follow these steps:
- Download a trial of Btrieve 12
- Install Btrieve 12 on the machine where you want to run the test.
- Install your application (if not already installed).
- Run psaclean.exe to remove Btrieve 6.15 components that might cause a conflict. Psaclean.exe can be found at c:\program files (x86)\actian\btrieve\bin
- Log out, then log back in
How can I get a copy of Btrieve 12?
How much does a Btrieve 12 Limited Distribution License cost?
The introductory price for a Btrieve 12 Limited Distribution License, which allows the holder to distribute copies for up to a total of 1000 users, is $2,995.
Will PSQL v12 applications run on Btrieve 12?
No - for two main reasons.
- PSQL v12 and Btrieve 12 use different file formats. Btrieve 12 cannont read any file formats later than 6.x and PSQL v12 writes in file format 9.x.
- Btrieve 12 provides access through the Btrieve API only. If the PSQL v12 application uses SQL access or any of the other access methods available to PSQL developers (ADO.NET, JPA, JDBC, JCL, Active X, PDAC, OLE DB, DTI, DTO), it cannot be used with Btrieve 12.
What is the difference between Btrieve 12 and PSQL v12?
Click here for a comparison of Btrieve 12, PSQL v12 and Btrieve 6.15. The following lists some of the key differences between the products:
- PSQL v12 allows SQL access to data. Btrieve 12 does not.
- Btrieve 12 uses the Btrieve API only. PSQL v12 supports Btrieve and 9 other data access methods.
- PSQL v12 supports referential integrity. Btrieve 12 does not.
- PSQL v12 licenses are sold per machine and start at $100 for a single user Workgroup. Btrieve 12 is sold via a Limited Distribution License with an introductory price of $2,995 for 1000 users.
- Btrieve 12 is a 32-bit Windows OS only product. PSQL v12 is 32- and 64-bit and is supported on Windows, Linux and Mac OS X.
- PSQL v12 installation can be customized, allowing developers and end users to pick the components they want to install. Btrieve 12 installation cannot be customized.
- PSQL v12 has more performance related features - 256GB (PSQL v12) vs. 4GB (Btrieve v12) file size, configurable L1 and L2 cache (PSQL v12) vs. non-configurable L1 cache only (Btrieve v12), 64-bit (PSQL v12) vs. 32-bit (Btrieve 12) address space, page compression (PSQL v12) vs. no page compression (Btrieve 12), online defragmentation (in PSQL v12, not in Btrieve 12).
- PSQL v12 includes Windows VSS support. Btrieve 12 does not.
Will Btrieve 12 applications run on Windows 95?
No. Microsoft has changed its operating systems substantially since Windows 95. Btrieve 12 is designed to be installed, run and supported on newer architectures from Windows Vista and to Windows 10. Click the link for a complete list supported operating systems.
Will Btrieve 6.15 16-bit and DOS applications run on Btrieve 12?
Yes. To run 16-bit applications, Btrieve 12 supports the adding of Window NT Virtual DOS Machine (NTVDM), provided that the Win 16 client components are added to the Path environment variable. DOS applications on 32-bit systems can use teh BTRBOX Btrieve requester, which is included in Btrieve 12 along with all other components need to run DOS applications. Btrieve 12 does not support DOS applications on 64-bit Windows platforms.
What is a Btrieve 12 Limited Distribution License?
Btrieve 12 is sold by Actian only via Limited Distribution Licenses. The Btrieve 12 Limited Distribution License allows the holder to reproduce and distribute Btrieve 12 as part of the holder's applications. The current license allows for up to 1000 users and is automatically renewed after the initial one year term (unless terminated earlier). Any applications distributed with Btrieve 12 must be registered in the Btrieve 12 Product Catalog on the Actian PSQL website.
Do Actian or its Distribution partners sell user-count copies of Btrieve 12 (like those available for PSQL v12)?
No. Actian and its partners sell only Limited Distribution Licenses for Btrieve 12. User count copies of Btrieve 12 may be offered by software developers (ISVs or OEMs) who are distributing Btrieve 12 as part of their application under the Limited Distribution License agreement.
How are Btrieve 12 user count licenses created?
Purchasers of a Btrieve 12 Limited Distribution License will receive a serial number and authorization code which will allow them to create a Btrieve 12 deployment pack on the Actian PSQL Deployment Portal. The deployment pack will allow the Limited Distribution License holder to create user count licenses for Btrieve 12.
Why isn't Btrieve 12 compatible with PSQL v12 (or prior versions of PSQL)?
Btrieve 12 is a replacement for Btrieve 6.15. Its goal is to provide an up-to-date data management engine supported on current Windows OS platforms that will run Btrieve 6.15 applications without requiring any changes. With SQL access, multiple data access methods, performance upgrade, multi-OS support and more, PSQL has moved far enough past Btrieve 6.15 (and now Btrieve 12) that compatibility is just not viable.
Where can I get more information about Btrieve 12?
The Btrieve 12 webpage